Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Emperor... I've failed you!



One of my favorite video game quotes. I felt it was appropriate for the following...

Interesting article out this week concerning the state of the election. I admit I find myself in a similar position. Most of my family (notably: my father) is conservative and I have inherited some of these tendencies. I also really liked John McCain before this election. My mind is made up on who I am going to vote for this year and I am truly thankful for the secret ballot.

Following up my praise for CNN's David Gergen last week, I found this article from the same site as the previous one. I look forward to his commentary for the forseeable future (probably until Nov 5).

Speaking of which, the final presidential debate is tonight. I am a sucker for the build-up to a debate. The same thing can be said this afternoon, even after the disappointing precedents. Oddly, enough when I watch a debate, I don't really watch much. I am usually glued to my laptop reading about Fable 2, football or the Electronic Arts DRM debacle. I find that if I focus on what the candidates say and not what they look like, I get more out of the debate.

The ongoing phenomenon of the Nixon/Kennedy TV vs. Radio debate outcome has gotten out of hand. Candidates are so focused on avoiding looking bad (and today, avoiding gaffes at all costs) that debates have become sterile facsimiles of campaign stump speeches in bite-sized chunks. Where is the passion? Where is the unveiled, un-manufactured, un-spun (i.e. genuine) concern? Am I actually witnessing a debate? My hope in avoiding directly watching the debate is to filter out something of value; at the very least, I'll read something that will get me more excited about Fable 2. Wish me luck...

UPDATE: I guess that the third time is the charm. This debate was everything I expected and more. Furthermore, I actually closed up the laptop and watched. I approved of every talking point save two. The discussions over negative campaigning and Supreme Court Justice appointments were inappropriate. Talking about negative campaigning is a waste of time because neither candidate will denounce their own campaign (or contributors) nor will they accept excuses from their opponent.

The Supreme Court appointments are an important topic, but the way in which it was asked was wrong. Injecting Roe v. Wade into the discussion turns an important debate over Constitutional interpretation and bench ideology into a divisive and destructive battle in the culture wars. The latter is a continuation of the partisan Bush-Clinton dynasty. The former is a key debate that is not always divided between existing political ideologies.

The culture wars prevent progress in America and will continue to do so as long as politicians cling to it as a way to squeeze more votes out of the party base. While Americans scream about abortion, gay rights and sex-ed, the real problems (economy, healthcare, social security, deficit spending, Iraq, Afghanistan, nuclear proliferation, etc. ad nauseum) quietly make Americans poorer, less safe and less free. Both Obama and McCain have demonstrated a hesitancy to put on the war paint of a culture warrior. Unfortunately, since McCain has been doing poorly in the latest polls, he has undoubtedly been advised to put on the war paint. I credit John McCain for historically side-stepping the culture wars in order to push the important issues. However, Mrs. Palin represents the worst in the Republican party. She is the poster child for a 21st century conservative culture warrior.

I hope and pray that the closing weeks of this election are not tainted by the culture wars. Instead, why don't we talk about how we can solve the real problems facing all Americans from Joe the Plumber to Joseph the CEO?

1 comment:

Alb said...

I missed it when you said that quote out loud. :P

My dislike for Palin is unnatural. Before I might've considered voting for McCain. Now I don't think that option exists.

Boo to culture wars. ::insert frowny face::

I've commented enough, I should get back to my take-home genetics exam.