Thursday, April 23, 2009

Epic



Brodeur had a legitimate case based on the murky history of the crease-crashing and goal-front traffic goals (or no goals), but I think it was a good "no call." Marty was way out of the crease and the incidental contact is excusable. If the Carolina player had gone out of his way and deliberately interfered, I would be upset.

This series and the Chicago-Calgary series have turned out to be fantastic match-ups.

On a less epic note, Montreal fans are apparently the type of fans that boo national anthems. I expect this kind of thing from Philadelphia fans, but I always thought that Montreal fans were lacking those Cro-Magnon tendencies. On the other hand, those French-Canadians are not your proto-typical well-behaved Canadians. Unfortunately for Canadiens fans, they also booed their team to a disappointing first round elimination in four straight games at the hand of Original Six rival Boston.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man, this is a tough one because he's definitely tracking the puck, and he's well within the normal wanderings of a goalie's furthest range. But then again, there has to be some limit to him walking out in front of someone who is skating backwards.

The bottom line to me is that I'm not a big fan of protecting quarterbacks from big hits, and I'm not a big fan of protecting goalies from interference. I would say that they are protected in the crease, otherwise no, and no one would ever call a similar incedent between forwards in the open ice intereference.

Epic.