Friday, December 19, 2008

Twice in one week?!

That's what she said...

Anyway, of late I have rarely taken the time to post on my blog twice in one week, but I came across something on the interwebs that I had to mention.

For about six months now I have been visiting Tom's Games, the gaming and movie portion of the Tom's Hardware site. On Wednesday, they announced that they will stop doing video game and movie commentary. In its place, they will have a "cutting edge site designed to deliver the latest in online games." What a shame.

Now, I occasionally play online flash games like almost everyone, but this is a shameful step. Tom's Games offered interesting and insightful commentary, opinions and reviews. However, their greatest asset was the distinct lack of fanboy-ism that permeates that particular sector of the internet. They had an deep appreciation for the PC game platform, but did not let that cloud their judgement of console games. Lastly, the discussion forums are usually civil, another rare thing for this neighborhood of the internet.

Now Tom's Games is going concern itself with the lowest common denominator of the gaming world. These are cheap, simple, mindless games that are trumped by only the great World of Warcraft in amount of lost productivity.

The two editors-in-chief of Tom's Games, Rob Wright and Travis Meacham, wrote a letter to their readers which can be read here. If you are so inclined, take a look at their weekly video series, Second Take; it was one of my favorite internet video series.

A dark day for quality gaming journalism, indeed.

On a brighter note, the Red Wings completely annihilated the San Jose Sharks tonight! For those that haven't been following hockey as closely as I, San Jose has a very good team this year. A little over 30 games into the season, San Jose had lost only 3 games in regulation and were among the top 10 teams in nearly all the major statistical categories. They are on pace to break league records for number of wins and points in a single season. The Wings are hardly having a bad season, but the sheer brilliance of the San Jose squad makes the great Wings team look a bit tarnished. This was definitely a big statement game for the Wings.

2 comments:

Alb said...

Dan! I haven't played a video game in so long. :( I don't know what's out and what I'd enjoy playing. Maybe I'll play the demos to "Sins of a Solar Empire" and "Age of Empires 3."

Any potential suggestions? I miss the days where I could just stop by and watch you/Jackson play games. It's like playing games by proxy. XD

Also, I pretty much only play PC games because I don't have a TV to play console games on. So . . . yeah.

Happy holidays!! :D

Dan Jenkins said...

Well, that wholly depends on how much time you want to lose :D

Both Sins and Age of Empires are good places to start. If you are looking for a more RPG/adventure type game, then I think you would like Jade Empire. I haven't played the whole thing, only bits and pieces, but it's supposed to be a quality game and you can get it for $15 on Steam.

Otherwise, you should check out the latest Starcraft 2 update. It's a replay of an alpha-version multiplayer match with full play-by-play and color commentary. I had a great time watching it and it makes the wait even more unbearable.