Monday, December 1, 2008

Still Alive

As the title of this post would have you believe, I am still alive. I had a bunch of family over for the holiday weekend and between the food and Rock Band (one of my guitars partially broke) I had little time to blog. For those who are concerned, I think one of my brothers-in-law was a bit over-zealous with his strumming and the down-strum detector died. However, this brought upon a fascinating new discovery! I was playing the bass part of a song with up-strumming only on Hard (yeah, I am a badass) and when the song was over, I received the "Authentic Strummer" tag under my completion percentage. One of my brothers-in-law, who is actually a guitarist in a band, informed me that the game wasn't lying, then I recalled watching jazz bassists and rock bass players plucking the strings when they played. Rock Band: Fun and Educational as long as you don't play alone or "sing" a Beastie Boys song.

I don't have anything in particular to talk about, so I'll just point out some great stuff on the internet that everyone should look at this week.

The first is for fans of Valve's Half-life games. The official trailer for Black Mesa was released over the weekend! Black Mesa is a top-to-bottom remake of the first Half-life game using the Source engine that powered Half-life 2, Portal and Left 4 Dead. What makes this all the more interesting is that Valve has nothing to do with this game (except for the inspiration and developer tools). You can visit the developers here and view the trailer below!



Once again, the BCS is at the center of a season tainting controversy. Oddly enough, I can't actually blame the BCS for the mess, but the mess definitely exposes the weaknesses of the BCS system. Anyone who follows college football on the internet (save Okla-homers, haha) has undoubtedly read a number of articles condemning the Big 12 tiebreaker methodology. Long story short, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech were tied for first place in the Big 12 South with a spot in the Big 12 Championship game on the line. The Big 12 rulebook dictates that BCS ranking breaks the tie in the current circumstances. Going into Thursday, Texas was #2 and Oklahoma was #3. On Monday, Oklahoma was #2 and Texas was #3 with both teams winning big. This is where things get bad. Earlier this season, Texas beat Oklahoma, on a neutral site, 45-35.

The claim made by BCS defenders that the regular season serves as a playoff is truly foolish now. The winner of the Big 12 South is a virtual shoe-in for the BCS Championship game. Missouri, the Big 12 North champ, is a mediocre team with little chance of success against Texas, Oklahoma or Texas Tech. Texas beat Oklahoma head-to-head at a neutral site, end of story. If there is any justice in college football, then the regular season playoff victory of Texas over Oklahoma is all that should matter here. However the current state of college football is a greed-driven, farcical fraud perpetrated by the BCS and its delusional advocates in collusion with ruling bodies of the Big 12 and other BCS conferences. If you want to read more, I suggest checking this and this out.

Only one thing will make this more amusing, a Missouri victory on Saturday. Here's a list of potential opponents for the Alabama-Florida victor should this happen:

  • Texas: failed to win it conference or division, but the most deserving*
  • USC: lost to Oregon State and plays in the relatively weak Pac 10
  • Utah: highly questionable strength of schedule
  • Texas Tech: see Texas, maybe more deserving* than everyone except Oklahoma
  • Penn State: lost to Iowa and plays in the relatively weak Big 10
  • Boise State: see Utah
  • Teams ranked 10-119: unprecedented, dream on
*Texas Tech beat Texas 39-33 at Texas Tech with that tragic dropped interception with 11 seconds to go.

Dear Santa,

I will sacrifice all of my Christmas gifts for the next five years if you will get FBS college football a playoff system this year. I really want an epic 16-team tournament, but I will settle for an 8-team playoff. If you give FBS college football a "plus one" system, a.k.a. bandaid over the chainsaw laceration, then you only get one year of sacrifice.


However, I know that bargaining with you is like bargaining with God, it doesn't work like it does in the movies. I expect to see
Prince of Persia for my Xbox under the tree this year. Failure to comply will result in more meaningless letters in the future.

Yours truly,


Dan

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's good to hear you're still alive. However, I'm surprised that the Texas Tech thrashing didn't make an appearance in your blog.

Dan Jenkins said...

I was thinking about it, but all the major discussions have been about Texas and Oklahoma. Plus, Oklahoma has a predisposition towards thrashing opponents. Back in my day, we called that "running up the score" and was thus considered a dishonorable act. Alas, that is the nature of the BCS.

Texas, on the other hand, puts up points AND plays great defense/special teams. The BCS rewards running up the score, but not good football. Exactly the lesson we should be teaching a generation of young Americans!

To be honest, I still hold a soft spot in my heart for Texas Tech. Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree are one of the most explosive combos that I have ever seen in football. Yeah, Texas Tech is more one dimensional than Oklahoma, but at least they aren't ashamed to admit it.

Alb said...

I like your letter to Santa. XD It was quite amusing. I'm glad you're still alive, you had me worried for a little bit.

Jackson said...

Hurray Black Mesa :)