Monday, November 3, 2008

Democracy

I'm not going to endorse a candidate. I believe in the power and sanctity of the secret ballot, not to mention my Constitutional right to a secret ballot. My earlier posts have indicated my preferences and I don't see much reason to publicly acclaim my vote.

What I do want to acclaim is the importance of participation in government. I personally believe that America is in the midst of a historically pivotal moment. Politicians tell us about how dire and important every election is, but they are wrong. Granted, saying that requires perspective and a certain degree of historical hypothesizing, but it is hard to ignore the gravity of the decisions that need to be made over the next 4-8 years.

Essentially, all Americans are stockholders in this nation. In a nation so populous, wealthy and powerful, it is difficult to realize the power of an individual. By voting, one declares one's willingness to choose a representative most able to make the nation thrive and, thus, one's choice to improve the nation, community and self.

Millions have sacrificed themselves over millenia to preserve freedom and democracy. Most notably, people of non-democratic societies have even sacrificed in order to preserve democracy. One always thinks of the Athenians at Marathon, Cicero in Rome, Parliamentarians in England, American Revolutionaries at Saratoga and the Allied armada at Normandy. What about oligarchic Spartans at Thermopylae, or the Communist Russians in Stalingrad? They aren't the shining defenders of democracy, but their contributions were significant nonetheless. Voters don't need to participate to such a degree, they need only cast a vote.


Unsung heroes of democracy?

If you don't know who you want to vote for in the presidential race, go vote anyway. State and local elections are also important and they have a more direct impact on your day-to-day life. I suggest looking up a local chapter of the League of Women Voters in your state and district and read over the voter's guide (here's the one for Michigan). If that fails you, then local newspapers often print a voter's guide (hopefully with an online version).

If all these arguments fail to convince you recalcitrant voters, then maybe Aristotle will...



"If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost."

3 comments:

Jackson said...

Well said Dan. I hope the lines aren't too long for you tomorrow (though based on my preferences I should be cheering for long lines...)

We've been through a lot of low points over the last eight years, but I think Americans are getting the sense that we still have the ability to turn things around. I don't wish for the end of John McCain tomorrow as a political actor tomorrow, but if the 50+1, turn out the base and call the other side terrorists strategy finds its way to the dust heap I'll be thoroughly satisfied.

Dan Jenkins said...

The 49 + FloridaLOL strategy can be tossed into the same bin, too :D

Alb said...

Fuck, I've been looking for that voter's guide thing for the last 2 weeks! And I already submitted my absentee ballot last week. Oh well, I stand by who I voted for (as if I can change that now).

Next time, I'll type in "voter's guide" into Google or something.